It has been quite the journey! Over the past year, we have been diligently working towards building out the systems and resources to support our regional brand platform, Come Wander. Working with you, our industry, along the way, we solidified our content marketing strategy, we developed resources that clearly explain our direction and opportunities to benefit from our new approach, and pulling it all together, we are thrilled to announce:
Come Wander Officially Launched to Consumers This Morning
& Comewander.ca is now Live
The launch of Come Wander and ComeWander.ca is a big step for our organization as we shift towards content marketing as a way to establish Ontario’s Highlands as a leading tourism destination in the Province. And this is just the beginning! We are looking forward to growing and building this platform together to bring out your stories and inspire visitation.
We invite you to take your own journey through ComeWander.ca, to better understand how we have positioned our offers so we stand apart and resonate with our audience.
As we have so passionately shared before, the Come Wander brand is built around the philosophy that sometimes the best way to recharge is to slow down, look around, and just wander, letting every new discovery along the way become its own opportunity to stimulate the senses and nourish the soul.
With the launch taking place today, I wanted to take a minute to look back and reflect on the Who, What, Where, When, Why, and How of Come Wander.
WHO Come Wander Targets
An effective brand strategy identifies a target audience and then focuses on tapping into their specific desires and motivations. Through research provided by the Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation (OTMPC), we identified the Connected Explorer as the consumer profile that has the greatest potential for tourism growth in our region. We then expanded upon their specific travel motivations to develop the Wanderers:
These five Wanderers allow us to use the travel motivations of Connected Explorers to connect our audience with our region and the experiences they are seeking. You can discover more about these Wanderers and their travel motivators by clicking here.
Each of these Wanderers has their own page on our new website, filled with stories that will resonate with them and will inspire them to visit Ontario’s Highlands and have their own Wandering moments. These pages will continue to grow and be filled with unique content as we develop and share new stories on an ongoing basis. Consumers will be driven to visit the website and participate in a persona quiz to help them identify their own Inner Wanderer. In order to drive awareness of the new website, we will be hosting a contest over the next 4 months, giving people who complete the selector a chance to win 1 in 5 Wandering vacations.
WHAT You Need to Know
- Come Wander is the foundation for all of OHTO’s marketing, sales, product development, and partnership activities for the foreseeable future.
- You can share your story by answering our Monthly Guiding Questions, by responding to our Seasonal Product Requests, and by using #ComeWander on social media.
- Answers to these requests will be kept in a database to feed into the content calendar build stories that will be launched monthly
- ca also features a section for our Industry Partners which can be found by visiting ComeWander.ca/Industry. The industry section is filled with resources and information about OHTO and how we can work together.
- We’re here for you! Do you have questions about Come Wander, content marketing, or any of our programs? We know content marketing is new to many of you, and we recognize the different stages of readiness across the region. The OHTO team is made up of experienced and passionate individuals who are ready and eager to help in any way we can.
WHERE Efforts Are Being Focused
We’re visitor-centric and what we know is one key truth about our visitor is that they research travel online. Therefore, we are shifting towards being a Digital First organization. What does that mean? We will be reaching and engaging with our visitor where we know they are researching travel – online. The majority of our marketing efforts will be focused on inspiring our consumers through digital platforms, specifically: Comewander.ca, Social Media, and Consumer E-blasts. In addition, we’ll be launching an Influencers program, continuing our internal influencer program with The Wanderer, maintaining our Media Relations efforts, and exploring Paid Media opportunities.
WHEN Messaging Will be Shared
Year-round! We’ll have new content rolling out every month so we are constantly engaging with our consumer to provide opportunities for visitors to connect with our tourism offers and operators each season, and inspire visitors to Come Wander throughout the year.
WHY You Should Get Involved
- Be a part of a shared and unified vision that will have a positive impact on your region, your community, and your business.
- Learn by doing – participating in the Come Wander story is a very low risk way to get up to speed on content marketing strategies and share your story.
- Increase your reach by leveraging our partnerships with Destination Marketing Organizations (DMO) and Ontario Tourism Marketing Partnership Corporation (OTMPC).
- Help increase awareness of Ontario’s Highlands –we can’t out spend our competitors, but together we can create more buzz.
- Access new audiences and entice visitors to wander over to you.
HOW We’re Pushing the Messaging to Consumers
In an effort to push this messaging out to our consumer, support the launch, and increase awareness of the brand, we’re employing the following tactics:
- Wandering Persona Contest –To encourage visitors to discover their Inner Wanderer, we’re hosting a contest! From now until September 15, consumers are invited to visit findyourinnerwanderer.ca to discover their Inner Wanderer and enter to win 1 in 5 Wandering vacations.
- Urban Wandering Installations – Imagine a day spent at the end of the dock – soaking up the sun, disconnecting from the everyday rush, smelling nothing but fresh air and embracing the beauty around you. This is exactly what our target consumer needs to feel and so, we’re going to recreate this moment in the middle of busy urban centres. With a giant “Highlands” deck chair and an actor equipped with talking points and Come Wander compasses, we’ll be enticing urban dwellers to Find their Inner Wanderers on key dates throughout the summer, in both Ottawa and Toronto.
- Media Relations Push – Media is a significant channel for launch activities. We’ll be distributing a launch press release to encourage media to discover their Inner Wanderers, inviting influencers to find our Urban Wandering Installations, and inviting select travel media and influencers for FAM trips to Ontario’s Highlands.
We hope we’ve answered any questions you may have at this time, but please don’t hesitate to reach out to a member of the OHTO team with any inquiries.
We are so excited to be wandering with you.
Marketing Manager, OHTO